Herbs are commonly used in many culinary cultures mostly for its scents and flavors, but they are also known to benefit overall health, especially mental health, and prevent disease. Several herbs have therapeutic properties such as anti-oxidative, anti- inflammatory, anti-diabetic, anti-hypertensive, and anti-microbial activities1.
In Ayurveda, herbs are used for medicinal treatments and cleansing the system of negative elements to re-establish a right balance of all elements. In Traditional Chinese Medicine, health practitioners often focus on two core energies of the plants, the Yin and Yang and often balance out these warm and cold energies when using herbs.
Indeed, balance is the key not only in using herbs, but also in every aspect of our lives. If all things in our lives are in balance, we enjoy good health.
Tips: You can use herbs directly on your food or cook with them. You can also make herbal oils, ointments, powders, and teas.
Today I want to share with you how to prepare herb-infused foods that relax the body, calm the mind and nourish the soul. This recipe is perfect for a busy morning work day. Enjoy!
STRESS-FREE SMOOTHIE RECIPE
This recipe is full of antioxidant content, including vitamin C, helps rebuild and fortify cells. Antioxidants also reduce inflammation and can calm down acute anxiety, as well as your long-term stress response.
- 1/2 cup chamomile tea – chamomile relaxes tense muscles and calms your central nervous system
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds or grounded flax seeds – chia & flax eases digestion and is great for heart health and circulation
- 1/2 cup almond milk – healthy fat that allows you to hang onto energy from carbs
- 1 tablespoon of tahini – sesame seeds are good source of zinc, copper, magnesium, and calcium
- 1 frozen banana – nutrient dense and supports good brain health
- 2 cups mixed berries – antioxidant-rich goodness
- Add all ingredients to a blender
- Blend to desired consistency and enjoy!